- This event has passed.
Paper Patterns for Beginners – understand & use
14 October @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£35
This is aimed at beginners and newbie dressmakers who have completed starter courses and a few projects in sewing and now want to progress further with knowledge on the essential skills and techniques in using commercial paper patterns.
Understanding and using sewing patterns is one of the first essential steps in learning how to sew your own clothes, accessories and home textiles and with so many great patterns out there including digital and PDF downloads, magazines and books specifically targeted at this market we help understand what is best for you and where to look for free patterns and information.
What You Will Learn
- Different patterns available Old classics and the new Independent patterns that have appeared in the last few years. The Pros and cons
- Where to find and source the best patterns both shops and online and a guide to pdf patterns that are found on the internet and what to look out for and what to avoid.
- How to read the vital information about style, sizing and fabric found on the pattern envelope
- How to understand the various components of the instruction sheet and the pattern pieces (layout, symbols, measurements).
- How to compile and trace home printed and tissue patterns in preparation for cutting
- How to layout the fabric and pin down the pattern.
- How to transfer markings and prepare the cut pieces for sewing
We Will Provide:
Equipment, Pins, scissors, tea & cake plus informative handout notes and lots of hot tips and tricks!
You may bring along:
Your paper patterns, fabrics
Call us to book 0203 326 1160 or online www.knowhowyou.co.uk